Episode 0: Welcome, from Elissa
Jun 06, 2019
Ooh I am dancing out of my skin to share this with you... 💃
Welcome to the How To Speak Your Truth podcast!!!
In this intro episode (which I recorded on May 26th, 2019... my 34th birthday!), I get super personal with my story about losing my voice and how I became a voice coach. Plus I talk you through the How To Speak Your Truth framework. Of course, this first episode wouldn’t be complete without stepping up on my soapbox to share why I think speaking your truth matters so much in our world. 🌏
I won't go on because I say plenty in the episode. So without further ado, I bring you: The How To Speak Your Truth podcast!
Plus, want to practice speaking your truth beyond listening to the podcast? Check out the Speak Your Truth Membership Community HERE!
There are so many links to share with you in this episode, oh my!! I want to be sure you can reference everything I’m talking about, so here goes...
- Here’s me singing my solo Black or White with USC Reverse Osmosis at the University of Southern California my senior year of college.
- Here’s information about laryngology from the Voice Foundation. The UIowa voice team locator and the Johns Hopkins National Referral Database are great resources for finding a clinician in the U.S..
- Here’s what a vocal scope looks like (warning for the squeamish: a view of inside the body!).
- Here’s information about proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) but full disclosure: this is a biased article because I think they are very harmful. I will speak more about my health journey weaning off of these drugs and healing my gut naturally in future episodes.
- What is a vocal hemorrhage?
- What is muscle tension dysphonia?
- Information about Fitzmaurice Voicework, my early voice training.
- Information about my graduate degree: the MFA Theatre Voice Pedagogy Program at The University of Alberta, at the time led by Betty Moulton and David Ley. (There’s a cute little video from when I was featured by the University here on this page!).
- Information about David Ley’s vibrators for your voice project, Vibrant Voice Technique.
- OMG - you can watch the entirety of ”Coming Home To My Voice”, my 30th birthday cabaret show, on youtube.
- Learn about the How Your Voice Works online course!
- Learn about the How To Have Presence online course!
- Information about the book I reference, The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz.
- Here’s one of the early kirtans I led online when I first started playing harmonium.
- If you want to learn Vedic Meditation, there is unfortunately no central website to search for teachers in your area. However I highly recommend my friend Emily Fletcher, who was my first meditation teacher and has since developed her own method, the Ziva Technique. Check out Emily’s online course here and read Emily’s best-selling book, “Stress Less, Accomplish More” here. (Please note these are affiliate links).
- Information is here about Body Mind Centering and Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen.
- Learn the How To Speak Your Truth framework in the Membership Community ($39/month) or purchase the How To Speak Your Truth course (one payment of $49).
- The Herbal Essences commercial from 2003 that I referenced (so obscure, lol!!)
- Some info from the Chopra Center about Vishuddha chakra. Anodea Judith’s book Wheels of Life is also one of my favorite recommendations for learning about the chakras.
- Here’s a great article explaining the Vedas.
- Tantra Illuminated by Christopher D. Wallis is a great book for understanding yoga philosophy and the concepts of Shiva and Shakti.
For more info about the podcast and our Speak Your Truth Membership Community, visit www.howtospeakyourtruth.com.
As a member of the Speak Your Truth Membership Community, you get:
- Enrollment in the How To Speak Your Truth online course,
- Live online group sessions with Elissa twice a month where you can ask your questions and be inspired by others’ stories.
- Exclusive behind the scenes footage of the podcast each week,
- Astrological insight on the new and full moons,
- And access to the membership forum where you can share your experiences and interact.
Learn more and sign up at www.howtospeakyourtruth.com.
You can find more info about Voice Body Connection and take the “What’s holding my voice back?” quiz at www.voicebodyconnection.com.
Our Assistant Producer is Suzie Masser
Our Editor is Eilise Bonebright
Our Graphic Designer is Laura Sills
Our Photography is by Sophie Mathewson
Our Audio Consultant is Martin Carrillo of heardrum.org
And our theme song is “Waters of Body” by Strange Weather
Please note that Amazon links in the show notes are connected to the Voice Body Connection Associates account. All other partner links are acknowledged. Thank you for supporting the podcast!