Episode 46: About trust (and turning 35), with Elissa
Jun 04, 2020
Now more than ever, we all need working trust-o-meters. After all there’s some real shit going down on this planet, and we need to know who we can rely on.
In this significant solo episode - which marks my 35th birthday, the one year anniversary of this podcast, and the unveiling of the podcast’s brand new name - I share what I’ve come to understand about trust. We’ll do an energy body meditation to help you protect yourself inside a loving cocoon, and talk about how to converse with and calm down your inner child. Plus I'll address how those of us who are white can educate ourselves about white supremacy, so that we can live in a world where humans trust each other more deeply.
Listen here on Spotify.
Want to practice raising your voice and speaking your truth beyond the podcast? Check out the Voice Body Connection Membership Community HERE.
- 0:00 - The show has a new name! Welcome to Find Your Voice, Speak Your Truth. I trust you’ll accept these changes.
- 2:11 - There are lots of different versions of me (and you, I bet) - but they’ve gotten overly segmented. And now I commit to being my whole self more fully.
- 8:20 - This month’s theme is Trust. And I think I didn’t understand trust until very recently. As Virginia Rosenberg says: “Blind faith is not the same as trust.”
- 10:35 - Lately, I’ve started to envision that there are holes in my energy body. Holes in my aura, if you will.
- 11:48 - A little bit about embryology… how we start as a tri-laminar (three-layered) disc, and our body seals in the front along our linea alba.
- 14:05 - Trust is containing our own energy body. So we do an energy body meditation, enclosing ourselves in a “cocoon.”
- 17:00 - From inside our cocoon, we do the Voice Body Connection process together (formerly called the Speak Your Truth process). Elissa shares.
- 21:49 - Elissa shares a personal story about learning when it’s appropriate not to trust someone.
- 27:20 - As my friend Maya has said to me: If we don’t trust ourselves first, we can’t trust anyone else.
- 28:33 - What Brene Brown says about trust. She likens it to a marble jar, and says: “Trust is choosing to make something important to you vulnerable to the actions of someone else.” She also has an acronym for trust: BRAVING.
- 32:39 - My 17 ½ year old self had some very serious expectations of what I’d accomplish by age 35. And now that I’ve accomplished none of what she expected, she’s feeling unsafe. So I had a conversation with her. I told her: “The life that we are living is going to be better than you possibly imagined.”
- 37:21 - It’s so important for us to believe that what’s unfolding is better than we can imagine, because we have some big problems to solve on this planet. And we’re not going to solve those problems linearly at our existing level of thinking. We can build a future that is exponentially better than the one we can imagine.
- 39:52 - A bit more about the changes here in Voice Body Connection-land on this one-year anniversary.
- 42:39 - What you get in the Voice Body Connection Membership Community.
- 45:26 - More to say about trust… about two hours after I recorded this episode I heard the news about George Floyd. Here are some resources for white folks to educate themselves on white supremacy. And we’re gonna keep talking about this.
If you want to hear more of my story about losing my voice when I was 21, check out Episode 0 of this podcast, or standby for the Find Your Voice, Speak Your Truth mini-course.
Here is the New Moon in Gemini report (which happened on May 22, 2020) from our resident astrologer, Virginia Rosenberg: https://virginiarosenberg.com/media-full/2020/05/22/new-moon-in-gemini
I briefly mentioned Reiki in this episode. If you don’t know about it, it’s a form of energy healing: https://www.reiki.org/faqs/what-reiki
A little bit of wikipedia wisdom about your linea alba: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linea_alba_(abdomen)
You can hear my friend Maya talk about attachment theory and share other relationship thoughts in two episodes of this podcast, About bonding and About our relationships.
I highly recommend Brene Brown’s Anatomy of Trust SuperSoul session. Watch it here: https://brenebrown.com/videos/anatomy-trust-video/
The Find Your Voice, Speak Your Truth mini course is coming this Tuesday... standby. 😊
This is the Anti-Racism Resources document that’s been circulating. And the books I mentioned I’m reading are White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo and Me and White Supremacy by Layla Saad.
For information on how to join the Voice Body Connection Membership Community, visit www.voicebodyconnection.com/community.
As a member of the Voice Body Connection Membership Community, you get access to:
- Live voice and movement warm-ups led by Elissa (twenty minutes each 4x/week),
- A monthly live online group coaching session to practice using the Voice Body Connection process,
- A monthly Community Concert, including sing-a-longs and opportunities to share your voice,
- A monthly live recording of the coming month’s solo podcast episode,
- And exclusive behind-the-scenes videos with every guest.
Learn more and sign up at www.voicebodyconnection.com/community.
Our Editor is Sean Brennan
Our Photographer and Graphic Designer is Laura Sills
And our theme song is “Waters of Body” by Strange Weather
Please note that Amazon links in the show notes are connected to the Voice Body Connection Associates account. All other partner links are acknowledged. Thank you for supporting the podcast!