Episode 70: About being a true influencer, with Bret Shuford
Apr 15, 2021
Bret Shuford grew up as a gay kid in southeast Texas who knew he wanted to be on Broadway. Suffice it to say, he didn’t have a lot of local examples of adults living the lifestyle he imagined for himself.
But now today as a successful Broadway actor and one half of the popular Instagram account Broadway Husbands, Bret is the example he always wished he’d had. And a huge part of his work is also as the Broadway Life Coach, teaching fellow creatives how to market themselves effectively.
In this episode you’ll learn how to overcome imposter syndrome and be a true influencer (and also what Disneyland can teach you about how to share your magic! 🏰🌈)
Listen here on Spotify.
Want to learn the Voice Body Connection Process so you can practice raising your voice and speaking your truth? Take the free mini-course HERE.
- 0:00 - Elissa thanks you for receiving last week’s big episode, and welcomes Bret. Bret shares his background as a Broadway actor, the Broadway Life Coach, and one half of Broadway Husbands.
- 3:41 - One of the things that’s remarkable about Bret is his ability to adjust authentically for the medium, whether it’s Broadway or Instagram. You don’t have to be fake and over the top to be worthy of having an audience! Elissa and Bret also discuss what it means to be a swing on Broadway (the hardest job in the theatre!).
- 9:12 - Elissa recaps what worthiness means to her, and asks Bret what worthiness means to him.
- 12:35 - Bret shares his personal experience with addiction and how it was covering up his ability to embrace his own identity and be fully himself.
- 16:50 - The difference between over-sharing and sharing authentically is whether you’re offering something useful to others.
- 19:56 - Bret answers what it means to him to have a voice and to speak his truth. It means setting the example for his younger self… the kid in Texas who had no examples of a gay man loving who he loved and making money doing what he loved.
- 22:10 - The Voice Body Connection Process check in. Elissa feels a tingly sensation. Bret feels his heart coming out of his chest.
- 27:10 - How Bret coaches actors to step into their authentic voices and selves so they can market themselves with ease. (Hint: His answer has to do with Disneyland!)
- 38:25 - The most important action you can take is to make one vulnerable post about who you really are on social media.
You can learn more about Bret’s work and follow him at www.bretshuford.com, and on Instagram at @bretshuford and @broadwayhusbands.
Want to learn more from Bret? Check out impostertoinfluencermap.com, and sign up for his free class at impostertoinfluencerclass.com.
Have you taken the free Find Your Voice, Speak Your Truth mini-course yet? Learn the full Voice Body Connection Process so you can practice it for yourself. Sign up at https://www.voicebodyconnection.com/minicourse.
And for more support, join the Voice Body Connection Membership Community, visit www.voicebodyconnection.com/community.
As a member of the Voice Body Connection Membership Community, you get access to:
- Live voice and movement warm-ups led by Elissa (twenty minutes each 4x/week),
- A monthly live online group coaching session to practice using the Voice Body Connection process,
- A monthly Community Concert, including sing-a-longs and opportunities to share your voice,
- A monthly live recording of the coming month’s solo podcast episode,
- And exclusive behind-the-scenes videos with every guest.
Learn more and sign up at www.voicebodyconnection.com/community.
Our Editor is Sean Brennan
Our Photographer and Graphic Designer is Laura Sills
Our Videographer is Miguel Garzón Martínez
And our theme song is “Waters of Body” by Strange Weather
Please note that Amazon links in the show notes are connected to the Voice Body Connection Associates account. All other partner links are acknowledged. Thank you for supporting the podcast!