Episode 67: About rebirth, with Elissa
Mar 11, 2021
Spring is springing, and a feeling of rebirth is in the air. And yet at the same time, we’re at the one-year mark of the COVID-19 pandemic. So as we pick back up with the Find Your Voice, Speak Your Truth podcast, I want to discuss the portal we’ve been moving through for the past year and consider what it’s going to feel like to emerge into a new world.
It’s uncomfortable to be in the waiting process before we know what that new world is really going to look like. And it’s uncomfortable to feel as exhausted and depleted as so many of us do right now (me!). So, can we actually rest? Can we wait and trust that the rebound will come that allows us to take action without pushing? After all, remember: flowers don’t push. 🌷
Listen here on Spotify.
Want to learn the Voice Body Connection Process so you can practice raising your voice and speaking your truth? Take the free mini-course HERE.
- 0:00 - Welcome back to the podcast, after our season break. The theme this month is Rebirth. We are about one week before the Spring Equinox, and at the one-year mark of the COVID-19 pandemic. Here we are!
- 3:30 - What is birth? Moving through a portal and emerging into a new world.
- 7:22 - Where were you on Friday March 13th last year? (The day we knew our lives were changing.)
- 9:45 - In Body-Mind Centering there’s a concept called yielding. A good definition is: “Resting against your supporting surface.” What comes after the yielding? A rebound. The rebound is a surge of energy that sets you into action. Like waking up from a long sleep feeling ready to spring into the day.
- 12:52 - Elissa shares how she has a lifetime of experience overriding the rebound. Pushing, forcing, and making things happen. Relate?
- 14:30 - Elissa experiences a major surge of energy (a rebound!) and shares some personal stuff. She expresses how she’s realizing how her educational background, capitalism, white supremacy, and patriarchy have all contributed to this override mode that’s so deeply ingrained in her nervous system. “It perpetuates a model of productivity I’m no longer in agreement with. I don’t consent to participate in the ways I have in the past. I can’t push anymore.”
- 19:48 - Confession: Elissa is recording under a blanket.
- 20:15 - “Part of me feels like I’m so tired because I’ve spent a lifetime jumping on the trampoline without bending my knees.”
- 21:43 - Thom Knoles says, “There’s no such thing as waiting. We’re either resting or gathering more information.”
- 22:40 - Our Voice Body Connection Process check-in.
- 24:49 - Elissa shares that she felt vibration and stars moving up through her body, and unbridled joy.
- 26:58 - A nervous system exercise: exploring how sensory information comes into the back of your vertebrae, and motor information leaves out the front. Does understanding this flow change your perception? What does it feel like to rest in the synapse?
- 33:50 - “It feels really good to share honestly where I’m at right now, and not push through.”
- 34:34 - Elissa shares one more thing: She’s been diving deeply into her music, and her EP is coming this Spring! Huge thanks to her (Grammy-nominated!) singing teacher Priya Darshini.
- 37:46 - What’s your time on this planet for? Do what brings you joy. And remember: flowers don’t push.
- 39:40 - One more thing: join us next week for the Voice Body Connection Membership Community Open House! Come behind-the-scenes for free for a week!
Join us this coming week (Mar 15-20) for the Voice Body Connection Membership Community Open House! Here’s the link to sign up.
Here’s the trailer of the Pixar movie “Soul.”
This is Thom Knoles’ website, master of Vedic Meditation.
This is Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen’s website, founder of Body-Mind Centering. And this is Mariko Tanabe’s program up in Montreal.
Here’s info on Priya Darshini and her album Periphery (listen on all platforms).
Have you taken the free Find Your Voice, Speak Your Truth mini-course yet? Learn the full Voice Body Connection Process so you can practice it for yourself. Sign up at https://www.voicebodyconnection.com/minicourse.
And for more support, join the Voice Body Connection Membership Community, visit www.voicebodyconnection.com/community.
As a member of the Voice Body Connection Membership Community, you get access to:
- Live voice and movement warm-ups led by Elissa (twenty minutes each 4x/week),
- A monthly live online group coaching session to practice using the Voice Body Connection process,
- A monthly Community Concert, including sing-a-longs and opportunities to share your voice,
- A monthly live recording of the coming month’s solo podcast episode,
- And exclusive behind-the-scenes videos with every guest.
Learn more and sign up at www.voicebodyconnection.com/community.
Our Editor is Sean Brennan
Our Photographer and Graphic Designer is Laura Sills
Our Videographer is Miguel Garzón Martínez
And our theme song is “Waters of Body” by Strange Weather
Please note that Amazon links in the show notes are connected to the Voice Body Connection Associates account. All other partner links are acknowledged. Thank you for supporting the podcast!