Episode 61: About finding liberation through our voice, with Thea May
Oct 29, 2020
This past summer I was supposed to have been in Sydney, Australia at the Voice and Speech Trainers Association conference, presenting a workshop called “Coaching the Voice of Our Times” with my colleague Thea May. Suffice it to say, that didn’t happen. Good news though: Thea and I have put the content in today’s podcast episode!
This conversation blew my mind and I think it will blow yours too. 🤯 Thea and I agree: in our modern era, the pathway to liberation is through our voice. Join us as we discuss how to get there. You’ll learn about the three layers of truth, why safety is so important for effective conversation, and how connecting to your gut can allow your voice and power to flow. 🗣🔥💗
Listen here on Spotify.
Want to learn the Voice Body Connection Process so you can practice raising your voice and speaking your truth? Take the free mini-course HERE.
- 0:00 - We welcome voice coach Thea May for the final episode of Freedom month.
- 2:10 - How Thea and I met, through the Voice and Speech Trainers Association (VASTA).
- 4:11 - Thea shares her background and her mission as a voice trainer. “Giving people an expressive voice is a very powerful thing to do.”
- 8:01 - Thea answers what it means to her to have a voice and speak her truth. “Don’t let the truth sit unspoken in the room.”
- 11:35 - Thea shares why voice training is important in our current landscape and context. #soapboxmoment
- 15:20 - As a voice trainer, how do you help people share their voice? Thea breaks down three layers of truth (amazing!), and Elissa shares how it resonates with her too.
- 25:35 - We address how this applies to politics. Elissa shares about Congress dealing with pandemic relief. How do we break the cycle of polarization and choose exploration instead of argument? We can even be cognizant of whether the words coming to our lips are reinforcing opposition.
- 32:50 - Elissa shares her most recent thoughts about why we become defensive in an argument… it’s because our human nervous system doesn’t feel safe. (Cross your hands over your heart and assure yourself you’re safe.)
- 37:12 - Thea builds on the idea of the importance of safety and shares about her speaking flows… gut flow, heart flow, and inspiration flow.
- 42:32 - Our Voice Body Connection Process check in. Elissa feels sparkles in her body and a levitational pull. Thea feels an upward and outward force.
- 49:10 - Elissa goes into #soapboxmode: The era we’re living in, the path to liberation is through our voice.
- 50:05 - Thea answers what freedom means to her.
- 55:30 - Thea shares how to be in touch (link below). Join her for a workshop or engage in private coaching!
Want to work with Thea? Visit www.workingwithvoice.com.
Thea quoted “Reality is the hallucination we all agree on.” This is the Anil Seth TED talk related to the idea.
Have you taken the free Find Your Voice, Speak Your Truth mini-course yet? Learn the full Voice Body Connection Process so you can practice it for yourself. Sign up at https://www.voicebodyconnection.com/minicourse.
And for more support, join the Voice Body Connection Membership Community, visit www.voicebodyconnection.com/community.
As a member of the Voice Body Connection Membership Community, you get access to:
- Live voice and movement warm-ups led by Elissa (twenty minutes each 4x/week),
- A monthly live online group coaching session to practice using the Voice Body Connection process,
- A monthly Community Concert, including sing-a-longs and opportunities to share your voice,
- A monthly live recording of the coming month’s solo podcast episode,
- And exclusive behind-the-scenes videos with every guest.
Learn more and sign up at www.voicebodyconnection.com/community.
Our Editor is Sean Brennan
Our Photographer and Graphic Designer is Laura Sills
Our Videographer is Miguel Garzón Martínez
And our theme song is “Waters of Body” by Strange Weather
Please note that Amazon links in the show notes are connected to the Voice Body Connection Associates account. All other partner links are acknowledged. Thank you for supporting the podcast!