Episode 53: About raising your voice, with Kaitlin June
Jul 30, 2020
One day in 2014, Kaitlin June got summoned to the bedside of a friend recovering from surgery in order to give an impromptu singing lesson. Now, Kaitlin had never given a singing lesson before and didn’t feel super confident about doing so… after a childhood of traditional voice lessons, they had spent years as a birth doula and an expressive arts healer. But give the lesson they did, and at the end this friend said: “Kaitlin, this is what you were born to do.”
Now Kaitlin June is known as the Voice Doula, helping individuals give birth to their voice and their truth. In this super special episode with one of my favorite fellow voice coaches, Kaitlin shares why our voice is our most powerful tool for action. And they also lead me through a throat chakra clearing (get ready to hear me make some really strange sounds!) and share a song of their own called “To The Unborn.”
Listen here on Apple Podcasts.
Listen here on Spotify.
Want to practice raising your voice and speaking your truth beyond the podcast? Check out the Voice Body Connection Membership Community HERE.
- 0:00 - Intro and welcome to Kaitlin.
- 1:29 - Kaitlin initiates the episode with a prayer.
- 4:40 - Elissa shares how she met Kaitlin and why they’re voice coach buddies.
- 7:24 - Kaitlin shares their story about becoming “the voice doula.” They gave a requested voice session to a friend and realized their calling.
- 12:45 - Elissa and Kaitlin commiserate about the oppressiveness of perfectionism and the right/wrong paradigm.
- 15:37 - Kaitlin shares why they think our throat chakras are clogged, and how we can support our dilation (yes, like a cervix to birth a new era). There’s a reason so many of us cough and clear our throats when we decide to start using our voice.
- 19:54 - Our Voice Body Connection process check in. They’re both feeling sensations in the throat - go figure!
- 25:00 - Kaitlin leads Elissa in a practice of chakra sounding: voicing whatever is coming through the throat chakra. This is the part of the episode where you hear lots of truly big, weird noises. “Sometimes there are sounds in the collective that just need a willing and available vessel to move through.”
- 34:36 - Kaitlin shares why our voice is such a special tool for taking action… it’s the vessel through which our insides meet the outside. It’s the tool through which we pray. (In asking this question, Elissa also reviewed the seven chakras).
- 41:19 - Kaitlin answers what it means to them to find their voice and speak their truth. This answer is specifically for fellow white folx. Be willing to be a fool for Gxd. Raise your voice for justice. Your social media account is not your voice.
- 44:05 - Elissa shares the concept of the “scripts” we actually write vs the ones we follow. How do we share our own true aligned voice?
- 46:15 - We each have unique roles in terms of the actions we’re meant to take. And by the fun, we can have FUN!
- 50:25 - Kaitlin shares how they write - or rather “catch” songs. We are all song-catchers!
- 55:46 - Kaitlin sings for us: To The Unborn
- 62:17 - Closing prayer & outro
To get in touch with Kaitlin (do it!) head to their website: Kaitlin June, the Voice Doula. Or instagram: @thevoicedoula.
The person who connected Kaitlin and I is our wonderful resident astrologer, Virginia Rosenberg.
Kaitlin tuned in from Vermont, occupied Abenaki land. Elissa resides in New York City, Lenape land.
Kaitlin inspired Elissa’s coming out around God during this “About acceptance” episode of the podcast.
Here’s a recap of the seven chakras from yoga.
For information on how to join the Voice Body Connection Membership Community, visit www.voicebodyconnection.com/community.
As a member of the Voice Body Connection Membership Community, you get access to:
- Live voice and movement warm-ups led by Elissa (twenty minutes each 4x/week),
- A monthly live online group coaching session to practice using the Voice Body Connection process,
- A monthly Community Concert, including sing-a-longs and opportunities to share your voice,
- A monthly live recording of the coming month’s solo podcast episode,
- And exclusive behind-the-scenes videos with every guest.
Learn more and sign up at www.voicebodyconnection.com/community.
Our Editor is Sean Brennan
Our Photographer and Graphic Designer is Laura Sills
Our Videographer is Miguel Garzón Martínez
And our theme song is “Waters of Body” by Strange Weather
Please note that Amazon links in the show notes are connected to the Voice Body Connection Associates account. All other partner links are acknowledged. Thank you for supporting the podcast!