Episode 52: About your human design, with Elyse Preston
Jul 23, 2020
Have you heard of Human Design? It’s a system for self-understanding that combines the chakras, astrology, the Chinese I Ching, the tree of life in Kabbalah, and metaphysics.
In this episode you'll meet Elyse Preston, a Human Design expert and the founder of Be More Connected. As we’re exploring our theme of action this month, Elyse will share why there’s no single right way for human beings to act. In fact, according to Human Design each unique energy type has a different blueprint for how to take action and when to pause. And when you’re familiar with your individual pattern, you can know yourself, love yourself, trust yourself, and be yourself better.
Get ready for an amazing crash course with a powerful and loving healer! 🧡
Listen here on Spotify.
Want to practice raising your voice and speaking your truth beyond the podcast? Check out the Voice Body Connection Membership Community HERE.
- 0:00 - Welcome to Elyse, a Human Design expert who’s going to help us understand how each of us individually is meant to take action in different ways.
- 5:45 - A bit about Elyse’s background, moving from non-profit work into becoming a full time entrepreneur/healer.
- 16:57 - What is Human Design? It gives us the tools to know ourselves, love ourselves, trust ourselves, and be ourselves. It’s a system that was channeled in 1987 by Ra Uru Hu, and combines the chakra system, astrology, the Chinese I Ching, and the tree of life in Kabbalah.
- 22:30 - Elyse knew she wanted to study Human Design because it gave her a language to understand herself.
- 24:11 - Our Voice Body Connection process check in. Elissa has a slight headache from not sleeping well. Elyse has some tightness in her jaw and shoulders from wanting to say the right thing.
- 30:07 - Elissa shares a bit about how she came up with the Voice Body Connection process.
- 31:06 - Elissa shares what she learned from her “not-self” theme in her Human Design reading with Elyse last week. When she experiences frustration, that’s a cue that the situation isn’t a good fit.
- 36:19 - Why pushing and hustling culture is damaging for all of us. It’s oppressive! We’re allowed to listen to our body and mind cues about how it’s best for us to perform action. We are human beings, not human doings.
- 39:07 - Elissa shares how she’s discovered that her greatest complicity with systemic racism (and patriarchy), is how she has hustled and driven forward with the capitalistic ideal of prioritizing productivity.
- 43:20 - Elyse talks through each of the Human Design energy types, and their unique “not-self” themes. Elissa is a Manifesting Generator (not-self theme: Frustration), Elyse is a Projector (not-self theme: Bitterness), and she also goes over Manifestors (not-self theme: Anger), Generators (not-self theme: also Frustration), and Reflectors (not-self theme: Disappointment).
- 57:30 - Two famous Reflectors (the rarest type) are Michael Jackson and Sandra Bullock.
- 59:58 - Elyse answers what it means to her to have a voice and speak her truth (and it is the most specific answer ever given on this podcast!!)
- 63:54 - How to be in touch with Elyse to keep learning and/or get a reading. (Links below here in the show notes 💜⬇️)
Want to join Elyse’s FREE “Human Design for Visionary Changemakers” masterclass that starts June 27th? Here’s the link to sign up! And if you’re reading this later, you can check out Elyse’s latest offerings at www.bemoreconnected.net and book a Human Design reading with her here.
You can purchase the recordings from the “Be More Connected” summit that Elyse offered in April/May 2020 here.
This is Jumakae (June Kaeswith), the healer whose “Your Story Medicine” summit brought Elyse and I together. Her work around storytelling and voice is incredibly powerful!
Here’s some information about founder Ra Uru Hu and the creation of Human Design, from the Jovian archive. (Which is also the site where you can look up your own Human Design chart... you just need your date, time, and place of birth).
This is Jenna Zoe, Elyse’s favorite Human Design teacher.
For information on how to join the Voice Body Connection Membership Community, visit www.voicebodyconnection.com/community.
As a member of the Voice Body Connection Membership Community, you get access to:
- Live voice and movement warm-ups led by Elissa (twenty minutes each 4x/week),
- A monthly live online group coaching session to practice using the Voice Body Connection process,
- A monthly Community Concert, including sing-a-longs and opportunities to share your voice,
- A monthly live recording of the coming month’s solo podcast episode,
- And exclusive behind-the-scenes videos with every guest.
Learn more and sign up at www.voicebodyconnection.com/community.
Our Editor is Sean Brennan
Our Photographer and Graphic Designer is Laura Sills
Our Videographer is Miguel Garzón Martínez
And our theme song is “Waters of Body” by Strange Weather
Please note that Amazon links in the show notes are connected to the Voice Body Connection Associates account. All other partner links are acknowledged. Thank you for supporting the podcast!